This is a past event. Its details are archived for historical purposes.
The contact information may no longer be valid.
Please visit our current events listings to look for similar events by title, location, or venue.
Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:00am to 3:00pm
EquiCenter Farm 3247 Rush Mendon Road, Honeoye Fall, NY 14472
The Cornell Small Farms Program project Farm OPS is providing series of training workshops throughout 2019 for veterans interested in agriculture. Veterans interested in these programs must be enrolled at a VA facility in NYS (VISN2 area).
Join us as we learn about and build chimney solar dryers. This is a practical application, project-based workshop. There will be a brief discussion session and construction briefing in the morning, after which we will begin construction on two chimney solar dryer units.
The dryer unit's design comes out of UC Davis and the Horticulture Innovation Lab, and units are currently being implemented in numerous countries around the world. The unit employs simple construction techniques, it is built from commonly found, low-cost materials, it requires no external power source, and it will function in both cloudy and sunny conditions.
Benefits of the Chimney Solar Dryer:
- Cost-effective, small-scale processing option for smallholder farmers
- Easily modified to suit specific requirements of different products and climates
- Provides benefits of solar drying even in hazy or partly cloudy conditions
- Dries produce twice as fast as cabinet dryer designs
Participants will leave this workshop with:
- An understanding of chimney solar dryer mechanics
- Knowledge of operating procedures
- Construction experience
- Construction prints & materials specification sheets
This workshop will be led by Shaun Bluethenthal, veterans program associate with the Cornell Small Farms Program.
This workshop will be held at the EquiCenter Farm, and lunch is provided.
It is recommended that students arrive around 9:30 a.m. to get coffee, tea and snacks, and get checked-in and settled before the class begins.