This is a past event. Its details are archived for historical purposes.
The contact information may no longer be valid.
Please visit our current events listings to look for similar events by title, location, or venue.
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 7:00pm to 8:30pmVirtual Event
This is a 3-part series that provides you with the steps to take your food business from idea to success. Make your dream a reality.
About this event
New York Small Scale Food Processors Association (NYSSFPA) in partnership with Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE ) Albany and Oneida Counties announce the first in a series of webinars in October 2021, to assist farmers, chefs, and food entrepreneurs in learning the building blocks to run a successful food business.
Led by recognized leaders in the small-scale food production industry, members of NYSSFPA will lead participants through the mindset and legal requirements to begin. The first 3-part webinar will address the tools needed to price your product profitably, and how to showcase your product in the best light to generate revenue.
There is two prices: member and nonmember. The nonmember price of $100 includes the membership fee for the rest of 2021 so you can experience the benefits of the organization for the last few months of the year. The member price of $20 can be accessed by emailing our organization for the promo code to apply at checkout.
Upon registration, you will receive worksheets to assist you during the sessions. Please note that the one-time registration fee covers all three workshops. Here is a description of each session, which builds upon the previous.
SESSION 1: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO RUN A FOOD BUSINESS?
OCT 5, 2021, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST
You have a dream. Now give yourself a practical step-by-step roadmap to create your business into a reality. This session includes:
- Business readiness: Acquiring the focus and mindset to be an entrepreneur.
- Commitment: Time management that a business requires to get off the ground and run effectively.
- Self-assessment: Looking for help and identifying resources including capital and technical assistance.
- Legal Structures: Choosing the right one for your business.
- Insurance: It is mandatory. How much will your specific enterprise need and what will it cost?
- Licensing: All food products must be licensed. Which one do you need to produce and market your product?
SESSION 2: PRICING FOR PROFIT
OCTOBER 12, 2021, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST
You are taking your prized recipe, turning your passion into a business. You need to make sure you generate a profit on each unit you sell. Pricing is important - not only to make money, but to understand how to market your product. In this workshop, you will learn how to price accurately (It is not hard once you know the tricks), and how to understand your competition so you stand out and sell. This session includes:
- Recipe weight conversion: Learn how to convert from cups and teaspoons to ounces or grams.
- Figuring out ingredient costs.
- Pricing formulas: Price differential for wholesale versus retail.
- Review of Pricing Sheet: Creating a pricing chart for each recipe.
SESSION 3: SUCCESSFUL MARKETING
OCTOBER 19, 2021, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST
Making your product unique. Identify and reach your target market using demographic data and direct observation. Focus on presentation; online, retail/wholesale, or direct:
- Selling requirements for specific venues.
- Storytelling: Tell your story to connect to your target audience; in person, through packaging, through social media.
- Comparison chart: Who or what is your competition? Setting yourself apart.