During the spring semester, in-person concerts, events and lectures that involve outside guests will not be held, per the university’s COVID-19 travel and visitor policy.
This is a past event. Its details are archived for historical purposes.
The contact information may no longer be valid.
Please visit our current events listings to look for similar events by title, location, or venue.
Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 10:00am to 4:00pm
Varies - See Description
With our long-awaited summer now in full swing, Open Farm Day is your chance to enjoy the bounty of some of Madison County’s wide array of farms. On July 30th between 10 am and 4 pm, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Madison County invites you to take a behind-the-scenes look at your local farms during its 8th annual Open Farm Day. This year 38 farms will open their gates to the public free of charge. Visitors will be treated to farm tours, rides, product samples, farm animals, and an all-around good time provided by Madison County’s booming agricultural community.
Planning on attending Open Farm Day this year? Whether you are a first time participant or returning visitor keep these few tips in mind to get the most out of your Open Farm Day experience!
1. Check out the farms: The most up-to-date farm profiles are available by visiting www.openfarmdaymadisoncounty.com. Read each farm's profile to get a snapshot of what each stop has to offer. There is a wide variety of farms this year and with 38 farms participating there is definitely something for everyone!
2. Pick a lunch location: There are multiple farms offering lunch options this year! Where do you plan to be? There are lunch spots located all throughout the county. In the North region visit Greyrock Farm or Ridgeville Farm. If you are out in the East Region stop by New Moon Farms. In the Southern part of the county visit Endless Trails Guest House for burgers. Farms in the West Region serving lunch include: Critz Farms Brewing & Cider Co., Dizzy Lizzie's Farm, Empire Buffalo, LLC., Meadowood Farms, and Skanda!
3. Plan your route: Don't miss out on some of the special scheduled activities that will be running at different farms throughout the day. Interested in seeing a milking demonstration on a sheep farm? Stop by Meadowood at 3:00pm! Try to catch a milking demonstration at one of our participating dairy farms. Check out New Moon Farms', Durfee Farm Stand & Tuscarora Dairy, LLC, and Red Gate Farm's profiles for more details. You never know what you are going to see at Open Farm Day! Our Farm will have Boris the giant catapult, launching watermelons every hour on the hour, starting at 11:00AM. Interested in learning more about how a grass-based dairy operates? Stop by Red Gate for one of their scheduled pasture walks. Of course there are lots of special and fun activities that you can only see at Open Farm Day. There are so many new and returning farms all with great experiences to offer the hard part is choosing just a few!
4. Bring a friend: Open Farm Day is a great day for all. Adults and children of all ages will find activities perfect for them! So grab a group and make an entire day of it! All participating farms are open for visitors from 10am to 4pm!
5. Pack a cooler: Last, but definitely not least, do not forget to pack your cooler! There will be many farms with products for sale. On what we hope will be a beautiful and sunny July day you won't want to turn down the chance to keep your raw milk, cheese, or vegetable samples fresh!
Open Farm Day Passports are available at 10 Price Chopper locations in CNY, in local Madison County newspapers, and local farmers’ markets. For more information on Open Farm Day participants or to download a passport instantly visit www.OpenFarmDayMadisonCounty.com – or follow Open Farm Day on Facebook to keep up-to-date on the latest Open Farm Day news. Be sure to make it to as many farms as you can – visit three or more farms with your passport and you will receive a free Open Farm Day giveaway! Don’t miss your chance to experience agriculture at its finest with your friends and family at this year’s Open Farm Day!
Open Farm Day would not be possible without the support of our sponsors: Price Chopper Supermarkets, Farm Family Insurance, Carolina-Eastern Vail, Inc., Farm Credit East, Cargill, Inc., Cazenovia Farmers’ Market, Gustafson & Wargo CPAs LLP, Colgate Inn, Colgate University, United Healthcare, Hamilton Partnership for Community Development, Jewitt’s Cheese House, Morrisville State College, Southern Madison Heritage Trust, Organic Valley Cooperative East, Madison County Farm Bureau, Deruyter Farm and Garden Co-Op, The Gorman Foundation, Friends of Bill Magee, CNY Solar, Madison Bistro, Tanner Insurance Agency, Inc., Dec and Benson CPAs, Byrne Dairy, Madison County Planning Department, Country Folks, Eagle News, and CNY Latino.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities and provides equal program and employment benefits.