This is a past event. Its details are archived for historical purposes.
The contact information may no longer be valid.
Please visit our current events listings to look for similar events by title, location, or venue.
2019 Small Grains Management Field Day
Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:30am
2296 Leader Rd., Seneca Falls, NY 13148
The annual field day featuring small grain variety trial information, disease and weed management updates, and crop development and management will be held Thursday, June 6th from 9:30 am until 12:20 pm.
New for 2019, the field day is being held at Poormon Farms in Seneca Falls, NY (and NOT Musgrave Research Farm).
DEC (1.5 credits total) and CCA (2.0 credits total) credits will be available.
- Registration and refreshments, 9:30 – 10 AM
- View winter wheat and winter barley variety plots
- Welcome and introductions (5 min.)
- 2019 Crop development and management observations, Cornell Cooperative Extension Field Crops Educators (20 min)
- Small grain breeding, varieties, and availability of seed, David Benscher, Phil Atkins (15 min)
- Progress on the ‘Born, Bred, and Brewed in New York’ spring barley variety development, Daniel Sweeney (10 min)
- Nitrogen fertility for small grains, Mike Stanyard (10 min.)
- Update on integrated disease management in small grains – including new fungicide options, Gary Bergstrom, (15 min)
- New developments in the barley-malt-beer value chain, various speakers including Jeff Trout, grower, Judd Hallett, maltster, and Jon Paul Partee, brewer, (15 min)
- Updates and comments from attendees, (10 min.) [incl. market conditions, new products and services]