Bethe Lecture Series - Public Lecture, Department of Physics

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 7:30pm to 9:00pm

Rockefeller Hall, Schwartz Auditorium Central Campus

Title:  Probing the Dark Universe

Abstract:  Over the last two decades, cosmologists have made a remarkable discovery about our universe: only 4% is made of ordinary matter like atoms and molecules.  The other 96% is dark, in forms unlike anything with which we are familiar.  About 25% is dark matter, which holds galaxies and larger-scale structures together, and may be a new elementary particle.  Another 70% is thought to be dark energy, an even more mysterious entity that appears to be driving the accelerated expansion of the universe.  This talk will introduce the Dark Universe, give an overview of what we have learned about it, and describe new experiments and observatories that aim to illuminate these enigmas. 

Subscribe
Event Type

Lecture

Departments

Astronomy, Physics

Website

http://physics.cornell.edu/bethe-lect...

Contact E-Mail

sfc1@cornell.edu

Contact Name

Sue Sullivan

Contact Phone

607/255-7562

Speaker

Professor Joshua Frieman

Speaker Affiliation

Fermilab and the University of Chicago

Registration Status

none

Open To

public

Recent Activity

People Interested

Getting Here