Gerald D. Hines will join Dean Michael Johnson, Dean Kent Kleinman and Jason Patch (Baker Program in Real Estate '13) in a conversation about his storied career.
The Cornell Real Estate Review named Gerald D. Hines, Founder and Chairman of Hines, as the recipient of its Real Estate Industry Leader Award for 2013. This award recognizes individuals who have demonstrated transformational leadership in the real estate industry, and is given to exceptional leaders whose influence and integrity have created a lasting legacy.
Mr. Hines founded his namesake firm in Houston in 1957. Since then, the company has steadily grown into a global leader in real estate investment, development and management, and is one of the largest real estate organizations in the world, with offices in 104 cities in 18 countries. The firm has developed, acquired and managed properties totaling more than 488 million square feet of office, residential, mixed-use, industrial, hotel, medical and sports facilities, as well as large, master-planned communities and land developments.
Mr. Hines has worked closely with leading architects including Frank Gehry, Pei Cobb Freed, Jean Nouvel, Philip Johnson, Cesar Pelli and Moshe Safdie. He is a recipient of the J.C. Nichols Prize for Visionary Urban Development, and is an honorary Fellow of the American Institute of Architects. Among his proudest accomplishments are the support of the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture at the University of Houston and the establishment of the ULI/Gerald D. Hines Student Urban Design Competition.
Past recipients of this award include:
- Robert Duncan, the chairman, co-founder, and managing principal of Transwestern Investment Company
- Andrew Florance, the founder and CEO of CoStar
- Arthur Gensler, the founder and CEO of Gensler
- William Sanders, the chairman of Strategic Growth Bank and formerly chairman, CEO and founder of Security Capital Group and LaSalle Partners
- Larry Silverstein, the president and CEO of Silverstein Properties, Inc.
- Samuel Zell, the chairman and president of Equity Group Investments
No recent activity