This is a past event. Its details are archived for historical purposes.
The contact information may no longer be valid.
Please visit our current events listings to look for similar events by title, location, or venue.
Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 8:30am to 12:00pm
NYSIP Foundation Seed Barn
2018 CORNELL SEED GROWERS FIELD DAY
Tuesday, 3 July 2018
For seed growers, seed treatment applicators, and other seed professionals
Place: NYSIP Foundation Seed Barn, 791 Dryden Rd., Rt. 366, Ithaca, NY
Time: 8:30 AM - 12:00 noon
8:30-8:55 Registration, coffee, & networking
8:55 Introduction, begin tour (Margaret Smith)
9:00-10:00 Small Grains: Breeding for Quality and Pest Resistance (Mark Sorrells)
· White and red winter wheat varieties and disease resistance
· Spring oat and spring barley varieties and disease resistance
· Born, bred, and brewed in NY: high quality malting barley
· Winter hybrid ryes from Germany
10:00-10:30 Small Grain, Switchgrass, and Hemp Disease Management (Gary Bergstrom)
10:30-10:50 Certified and Foundation Seed Update, Seed Treatment Survey (Phil Atkins)
10:50-12:00 Forage Varieties, Pest Management, and Breeding (Don Viands)
· New yield data in perennial forages
· Update on resistance to potato leafhopper on alfalfa
· Update on resistance to brown root rot on alfalfa
· Research on switchgrass: breeding for seed germination under
cold temperatures and other research
· Rust and smut on switchgrass
· Update on breeding for resistance to disease on switchgrass
caused by Biopolarisspecies
· Update on industrial hemp research: breeding, diseases, etc.
DEC and CCA continuing education credits requested.